EMD = Exact Match Domain, an update by Google to kill all such low quality sites, which are occupying #1 position just because of having the keyword in their domain name & are also using exact match anchor text link aggressively.
The EMD update was given by Google on 27th September, 2012 but still I can see many people don’t really have a clear picture of it and feel afraid having a domain name.
In reality every domain is an exact match for a search term, having a low search volume doesn’t mean that a keyword is not searched at all.
Google never tells the truth, otherwise by now all domains over the internet would have been penalized. It means Google isn’t punishing sites based on EMD rather there is something else, so what’s that?
On-page & Off-page Factors
Google is actually found punishing such sites which are abusing the benefit of an EMD not because of having an EMD. If truth be told various non-EMD sites got hit due to this update. It won’t be wrong if you call it another penguin update with a focus on another factor i.e. having keyword in the domain name.
On-page factors which harms the site
- Exact keyword in the domain name.
- The homepage targeting keyword extensively i.e by having it in:
- Page title, meta description, meta keywords
- Alt of images
- Heading tags
- Content on the homepage.
These all factors listed above are those which were actually targeted by Penguin algorithm update. However, Google made Mr. Penguin a bit more smart by putting in an additional factor of looking at the domain name and dressed it up with EMD brand clothing.
On-page which helped in keeping the sites safe
- Social sharing and popularity signals
- Link to and from authority sites to relevant pages.
- Keyword density around 2% to 3%
- Proper internal linking i.e. 1 to 2, 2 to 3 & 3 to 1.
Off-page factors that can get you penalized
More than 40 percent back links to your site with an anchor text same or similar as of your domain name.
Rewarding off-page factors
Reasonable amount of no-follow back links
Back links from social sites such as Facebook, Youtube, Google +, Twitter etc.
Here’s how you can rank faster without even having an EMD domain
- Perform a research and pull together good keywords and supporting words you wish to rank on.
- Try buying a domain name with a high Page Rank and a reasonable back links profile.
- Try to make it an authority within a niche
- Built up quality links from relevant sites.